Whether you have a workshop or you identify yourself as a fervent “handyman”, you will surely have a long list of tools at home to carry out the tasks that lie ahead. However, one of the most useful and will greatly help you is the bench drill press, very different from the models of drills that we presented on another occasion, less known to a person on foot but a very useful tool that nothing has to see with having at home the typical electric screwdriver or at most a good air compressor. This tool is more professional and you have to look very well which one you decide to buy.
It is a machine that allows, in a simple way, to make holes perpendicular to the surface in different types of materials. Hence, you must take it into account.
If you keep reading, then you will know in what aspects you have to look to buy the one you need and even which are the best models in the market.
Tips for buying a bench drill press
So that you can acquire the tool of this class that is going to offer you the best service, the one that you need, you must be clear on what aspects focus your attention. These are technical specifications that you have to consider in order to find the right one:
- The type. In this case, keep in mind that there are two varieties: the one that is mounted directly on a column and the tabletop, which allows regulating the speed with a system of inverted pulleys.
- Your engine, which must have the necessary power to deal with the functions you are going to perform. The more power you have, the easier it will be to tackle large and resistant holes.
- The security measures that it incorporates, which must guarantee that you can use it without taking any risk.
- Its weight and size, so you can use the bench drill press with absolute ease and comfort.
The bits you can accept, the depth of your drilling, the materials you can drill and even the accessories you incorporate are also criteria to consider when you go to buy this tool. Of course, without ignoring either what is the brand that supports it and its price.
|1||CLARKE CDP5RB 5 SPEED BENCH MOUNTED...||£119.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Silverline 262212 - 350W 250mm (10") DIY...||£92.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Bosch Bench Drill PBD 40 (710 W, Maximum...||£314.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Bench Drill, Bench Pillar Drill Press &...||£215.09||Buy on Amazon|
|5||KATSU Mini Bench Drill Pillar Press...||£54.99||Buy on Amazon|
Comparison of the best bench drill press
Once you are clear about which features are the ones that will help you choose this article, we want to help you make the purchase you make perfect. Therefore, below, we will let you know what is the best bench drill press on the market, according to the opinions of users and experts in the field.
Are you ready to take note? Next, the reference models:
1. Bosch drill – PBD40 Bench Drill Press
- The bench Pillar Drill PBD 40 – for precise drilling with easy to use operation.
- Innovative Digital Display allows for exact and flexible setting of the speed mode.
- Precision positioning of the work piece through the rip fence and the large worktop.
- With 2-gear mechanism: High power in the first gear, high speed in the second gear.
- Box contents: PBD 40, rip fence, quick-release clips, box.
Although it is the most expensive column drill in our ranking, it occupies the first position because it has a great value for money. It is available for sale in the Amazon online store. A value that fits perfectly to its main hallmarks, among which is that it is manufactured by a global reference firm in tools such as Bosch. A brand that guarantees its resistance, quality and functionality.
To all this, we can also add that it fits perfectly to the table and that it includes an electronic indicator from which to manage both the revolutions and the surface on which it is going to work.
In addition, it has a digital display, a two-speed gear, quality chuck, solid clamp, constant revolution system, work light and integrated laser.
It weighs about 11 kilos, the electric power is 710 watts and its dimensions are 74.5 x 37.5 x 27 centimetres.
2. Einhell BT-BD 501 Benchtop Drill Press
- 9 speed settings from 280 to 2350rpm
- V-belt drive, speed setting with stepped belt pulley
- Drilling spindle with ball bearings
- Swiveling scale ring for precise drilling depths
- Infinitely variable adjustment of table height
The third position of the list of our best bench drills is occupied by this other model that also has, among its main points in favour, both a reference and prestige brand and an affordable price. In the first case, we have to explain that we are referring to Einhell and in the second.
It has a power of 500 W, its drilling depth is 50 millimetres and the drill diameter is between 3 and 16 millimetres. Also, do not overlook that includes nine levels of regulation, a solid base and a spindle of great precision.
Its weight is 19 kilos and its size is marked by measures of 19 x 43 x 63 centimetres.
3. DART F12-941 Pillar Drill
In this list of a bench drill press, we could not forget to include this fourth model, which has become another of the most demanded. And that its price is one of the highest in this ranking.
It has twelve speeds, includes aluminium pulleys, stands out because it works silently and the drilling capacity is 16 millimetres. Of course, those who already have it at home or in their workshop stand out, likewise, its power of 450W and a rotation power of 1,400 revolutions per minute.
In addition to everything indicated, we must emphasize that its weight is 12 kilos
4. Silverline 262212 Bench Drill Press
- 5-speed belt drive
- Sturdy cast base and machine table. Table Size - 160 x 160mm
- 13 mm keyed chuck capacity. No Load Speed: 580 - 2650rpm
- Spindle travel (drilling depth) 0 - 50 mm with gauge
- For drilling jobs where a high degree of accuracy is required
In the case that you are looking for a cheap bench drill press, because your economy does not allow you to make a large outlay on your purchase, this may interest you. It belongs to the well-known firm Silverline.
It is identified because it has a solid iron base, 50-millimetre spindle depth, five-speed settings and a drill table. Do not forget about your 13-millimetre mandrel with a key, that its power is 350W and that it has an energy efficiency class A.
Its approximate weight is 16 kilos.
5. Proxxon 28128 TBM 220
The ranking of the bench drills we will close with this fifth model, available on Amazon online store.
Among its most remarkable signs of identity are some really very interesting. Specifically, it has three spindle speeds (1,800, 4,700 and 8,500 rpm), top quality and power of 85W.
Of course, its neck depth of 14 centimetres should be underlined and it has a downward path of approximately 3 centimetres. Keep in mind that it weighs 3.8 kilos and that it has a size marked by measures of 32 x 24 x 13 centimetres.
Broadly speaking, we can say that they are the models of bench drill press that you are most interested in taking into account if you want to make a quality investment and with a good price based on your performance. Now, what you have left is to choose one and for that, think well what you need, thoroughly analyze all the information we have given you and think how much you can spend. Based on all these criteria, you will have to compare the models presented and finally settle for one.
Of course, keep in mind that you choose the one you choose, you will get a durable, functional tool that will allow you to carry out the DIY tasks you need in a comprehensive manner and with an optimal result.
Last update on 2021-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API