A webcam is a digital camera that transmits its images in real time via the Internet. A webcam is nowadays installed in many PCs or mobile devices. You can not only take photos with a webcam, but you can also shoot videos, watch your house, or have video conferencing.
Top 10 Webcams for your Computer
The advantage of a webcam is above all its multifunctional operational capability. Over the past few years, not only the technical features but also the appearance of the webcams has changed. Which models and manufacturers are there and what you should consider when buying a webcam, you can find out in our great comparison. In addition, we tell you whether the Stiftung Warentest has already performed a webcam test.
1. Logitech C270- Affordable HD ready Webcam
- Full HD widescreen video calling: Logitech C270 let you make widescreen video calls in HD 720p at 30fps. The lense with 60-degree field of view covers all of the action
- HD lighting adjustment: Automatically improves the warmth and balance of your image for whatever setting you are in, so you look your best, even in dim environments
- Built-in noise-reducing mic: Enjoy clear conversation even in busy surroundings and streaming over wifi with noise reducing mic
- Universal clip: Attaches securely to your screen or works as a stand on a shelf or desk, the clip mounts at different angles to bring your friends and family all the details around you
- Ideal for laptop or tablet: Compatible with Windows 10 or later, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS 10.10 or later, and Chrome OS via the USB port
Video calls are easier than ever with the Logitech® Webcam C270. With VGA resolution, RightSound ™ and RightLight ™ technology, you’ll wonder how detailed your conversations are over the Internet, almost as if you were live with your conversation partner. You can also broadcast your video messages in HD resolution. However, the equipment of your PC and the Internet line must have a certain minimum level, so that the HD chats are actually possible. Logitech says you need a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, and at least 1Mbps upload.
However, if you only operate the webcam in conventional mode, you will be able to do much less. The 5-megapixel resolution photos provide good quality and bold colours. The camera owes this to the fluid-crystal technology, which provides optimal colours and smooth and high image sharpness. The built-in microphone with noise reduction ensures a good sound. The chats in the network are carried out using the appropriate software Vid HD from Logitech, which means that the camera synonymous with brands from other manufacturers.
The Logitech RightLight and RightSound technology ensure that your video calls are not affected by dim light or disturbing background noise. System requirements: Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Windows 8 and 10.
2. TeckNet 1.080p full HD webcam with built-in microphone
- Full high-definition 1080P resolution, 1920 x 1080 pixels, Up to 12 Mega pixels resolution, Image Capture: 4000*3000 Resolution (Enhanced by the software
- Lens: High-precision glass element lens, Hi-speed USB 2.0, Photo frame/special effect/face tracking and zoom function, Aluminium body.
- Built-in USB microphone, ultra-clear audio – Digital, with noise cancellation which helps to improve the voice quality.
- Plug and play, no need to install driver, Supports Windows XP/2000/2003/Vista/Win 7/Win 8
- Flexible Stand – Fits any notebook and laptop PC.
The webcam of TeckNet is a high definition webcam for breathtaking HD video calls in 1080p resolution. A true 2-megapixel sensor provides colourful images with up to 8.3-megapixel resolution. With dim lighting, an automatic brightness adjustment follows. This camera has a universal mount so you can easily mount it on your laptop or monitor. The TeckNet camera with USB 2.0 port can capture 2 megapixel video (1,980 x 1,080).
This high-quality camera delivers up to 30 frames per second. This means that the video images are displayed smoothly and without jerking. Commissioning is quick and easy: just connect the TeckNet camera to the USB port, install Skype and you can now start video calls. The camera supports the following operating systems: Windows XP / Vista / 7 and 10. The manufacturer grants an 18-month warranty on this TeckNet product.
This Web Camera gives you the best video quality for YouTube and lets you put Full HD 1080p widescreen movies online. Another feature is the built-in microphone. Your voice is automatically captured and rendered with exceptional clarity – without any noise or echo.
3. HAVIT N5086 USB Pro Webca for laptops and desktops
- USB 3.0 / USB2.0 connector for plug-and-play, easy to install, no driver is needed. (Note: Use the webcam under brighter condition is recommended.)
- Built-in microphone, full video calls on Skype with sharpest video-call picture; Video calls on favorite IM services like Yahoo! Messenger and Gmail Voice.
- Video calls on Windows-based PCs or on any HDTV with HDMI connection from a PC laptop,with the help of speaker,the audio can work well.
- Faster, smoother experiences, OS support- Windows XP x32 / x64, Windows Vista x32 / x64, Windows 7 x32 / x64,Window 10.
- Snap pro-quality pics; fast upload to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, Skype, MSN Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, and Yahoo Video Messenger. (Note: Zoom-in or zoom-out is not available for this webcam.)
The company HAVIT belongs to the providers of high-quality products in the EDP and PC area. With the USB Pro Webcam for laptops and desktops, the manufacturer offers a camera that is optimally designed for video calls via Skype and other IM services such as Yahoo Messenger or Gmail Voice. The HAVIT webcam brings a good picture quality with a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels.
An autofocus sharpens the picture without interference. For mounting, you only need to connect the camera to the computer or laptop via the USB cable. The installation then takes place automatically and without drivers. After installation, the webcam turns on and can be optimized in the integrated LEDs by a scroll wheel on the USB cable to adjust the brightness.
- Easy and fast installation thanks to Plug & Play
- No drivers necessary
- Integrated microphone in dual stereo design with automatic noise reduction
- Video calls through your favorite IM services
- Snapshot function and fast upload to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
The operating systems Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 are supported, the webcam also runs under Windows 10.
Papalook Plug & Play for Skype, YouTube
- EXCELLENT IMAGE QUALITY - PAPALOOK PA150S offers Full HD 1080p widescreen video capture at up to 30 frames per second. Which means you'll be able to create higher quality widescreen webcam videos without having to worry about jerky frame speeds
- NOISE REDUCTION MICROPHONE - Eliminate background noise and be heard clearly with the built-in noise-cancelling mic. Who you're chatting with will enjoy the clear and crisp audio, even without using a dedicated headset
- PLUG AND PLAY - Simply connect this HD webcam to your computer and video chat instantly with Skype, Windows Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) or your favourite IM application
- OPERATION SYSTEM - We have updated drivers to ensure you continue to enjoy a seamless online chatting experience in Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
- STREAM LIVE WEBCAM - Supports streaming video on OBS, Facebook, Youtube, XSplit, Mixer, Twitter, MSN, Yahoo and other media platforms (Google Hangouts, Amazon Chime, Face Time etc)
The company Papalook offers video recordings in true HD quality with its Plug & Play webcam. The 720p HD video recording with a playback of up to 30 frames per second delivers sharp shots without juddering. With this camera, you can record 720p HD video and share it with others on Facebook or YouTube. In addition to a sharp and crystal clear picture, the audio quality of the recordings produced is impressive.
This is thanks to the built-in noise-canceling microphone. This noise-canceling microphone removes annoying background noise and ensures clear voice quality in chats. The video preview remains password protected, which prevents the camera from being used without your permission. This Papalook product is a perfect camera for chatting, whether on Skype or other programs. You can start your video chat immediately after unpacking the camera – just plug it in and start, thanks to the easy installation via Plug & Play.
The product features at a glance:
- 1280x720p HD online video chat (HD widescreen video chat)
- A microphone with noise reduction technology – improved voice quality
- Compatible with most instant messaging services
- Fast commissioning through Plug & Play – USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 port
- Manual focus
System requirements: Windows XP SP2 / Vista / 7/8 / 10. The camera is not compatible with Mac!
5. Logitech C920 Full HD Pro Webcam with USB
- Full-HD Video Calling : This streaming webcam operates in full-HD 1080p video at 30-fps, whether you're on Skype or streaming yourself gaming in a strong HD 720p; It covers the full action; Connects to your device via USB
- Crisp Video Quality : Using this video calling device over wifi allows professionals and others to record rich content that is fluid, professional-looking and polished - such as demonstrations or showcasing your passions
- Full-HD Glass Lens : Users of this full HD streaming camera that captures a wide 78 degree field of view will be seen in high clarity and detail - the five-element glass lens with premium auto-focus capability shoots and records video that is crystal-clear
- Brighter Images : Equipped with automatic HD autofocus and light correction, this streaming webcam fine-tunes to your lighting conditions to produce bright, well-contrasted images - even if you're in a dim setting
- Dual Microphones : The two-microphone system on this HD webcam - one on each side of the lens - captures natural stereo audio while filtering out background noise
The Logitech C920 HD-Pro webcam with USB port supports UVC H.264 video encoding, so video chats can be done via Skype in Full HD resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. The optics of the camera is a high quality product from Zeiss with a 20x zoom. The webcam works so fast thanks to this high-quality optics that even jerky movements can be captured and processed into an even video stream. Video compression is possible with this Logitech camera not only for the business sector, but also for home users.
You can easily upload the HD videos recorded with the camera to the usual video platforms on the net at the touch of a button. The Logitech webcam provides you with photos with a maximum of 15 megapixels resolution, the resolution of the software is extrapolated. The equipment of the camera includes a stereo speaker and a mounting device for a camera tripod.
The most important features in overview: Video calls in Full HD 1080p resolution via Skype and in liquid HD quality with 720p via FaceTime for Mac, Full HD video recording in 1080p and 15 MP photos, Extended H.264 compression, Two microphones, optimally positioned for a natural stereo sound.
6. AUKEY Webcam for Windows or Mac
- High-definition 1080p webcam with 1/2.9" CMOS image sensor and 2 built-in stereo microphones. Delivers sharp, smooth video for video chats and recordings
- Excellent video quality with 1920 ×1080p Full HD streaming and recording. Good performance even in more dimly lit rooms (≤5 lux minimum illumination). Fixed focus keeps things in focus up to five meters away. Stream and capture clearer and more detailed video, also with stereo sound
- Easy to use - Plug & Play no drivers or software to install; just plug this webcam into your device's USB port. Compatible with Windows XP/ 2000 /2003 / Vista/ 7/ 8/ 10 , Mac OS 10.6, and Android 5.0 or above, works with Smart TV, Android TV Box, Skype, MSN, FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, Youtube, Yahoo Messenger etc.
- Conveniently clip this camera onto flat-screen computer monitors and laptop computer screens or stand it on desks and other flat surfaces
- Package Contents: AUKEY PC-LM1E 1080p Webcam, User Manual, 24-Month Product Replacement Warranty and Friendly Customer Service
A good solution for video communication is the AUKEY Webcam Full HD. You can simply pin the camera on the screen or leave it on the desk. The camera records 1,080P HD video and 2.0-megapixel photos, delivering a two-channel sound with its two built-in microphones. The setup is very simple: Simply connect the USB cable to the USB port of your device and open the software for video chat or recording.
The product features in detail:
- 1080p high resolution – with its 1/3 “CMOS image sensor, the AUKEY Webcam delivers excellent video quality with the resolution of 1,920 × 1,080 pixels. You can also record crisp video in dimly lit rooms (≤5 lux minimum illumination).
- A stereo microphone on board – the two dual digital microphones provide crystal-clear and natural audio while reducing the background noise.
- Plug and Play Technology – USB Video Device Class (UVC) does not need a driver or other software. For setup, you need to connect the webcam via the USB port of your device.
- Compatibility – Completely compatible with Windows XP / 2000/2003 / Vista / 7/8/10, Mac OS 10.6, Android 5.0 or higher. Works with Android TV Box, Skype, MSN, FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, YouTube, Yahoo Messenger etc.
- Ease of use – this camera can be clamped on either flat-screen computer monitors and laptop computer screens or left on the desk and other surfaces.
A blue LED indicator tells you that the camera is active and ready. The Aukey product is a sleek camera with a foldable, minimalist clip/stand that fits perfectly on your screen and easily fits in your laptop bag.
7. Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 Skype certified in widescreen format
- True 720p HD video: Records true HD-quality video at up to 30 fps
- TrueColor technology automatically delivers bright and colourful video, in virtually all lighting conditions
- Crystal-clear audio and built-in unidirectional microphone with acoustic noise cancellation
- Offers cinematic video recording in 16:9 widescreen format
- Works with Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo , AOL Instant Messenger and Skype
With the Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 Skype certified with the 720p HD sensor, you get crisp images in 16: 9 widescreen format. Even in low light conditions, colors look even brighter thanks to TrueColor technology. The built-in microphone with digital noise reduction ensures the good sound.
Put yourself in the limelight and create great vivid colour videos that are easy to publish on your social networking sites. The Microsoft webcam can also be placed on your desktop, laptop or notebook thanks to the flexible base.
The product benefits at a glance:
- Certified for Skype – experience more together in HD quality
- HD video chat with 720p
- With widescreen format – 16: 9 format for video recordings in cinema format
- TrueColor technology – this technology delivers brilliant video in bold
colorsin almost any lighting condition Noise-cancelingmicrophone – crystal-clear sound reproduction and built-in microphone with acoustic noise reduction
- With universal mount – easy and convenient to install on the desktop, laptop or notebook
- Share videos – You can share videos with Messenger, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter with this webcam
- Compatible with Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo, AOL Instant Messenger and Skype
- Direct support for Windows Live Movie Maker – start a new video project with just a click of the mouse
- Direct Support for Windows Live Photo Gallery – Easily upload photos that can be edited, tagged, and shared with friends and family.
8. AUKEY 2K HD Webcam for twitch or vlogging
- 2K Video: High-definition 2048 x 1536p resolution 3.2-megapixel webcam with 1/3” CMOS image sensor and built-in microphone. Delivers sharp and smooth video for Skype chats and YouTube recordings. Advanced H.264 compression technology enables fast and smooth video uploads and streams with less stress on the computer
- Live Streaming & Recording: Stream and capture impressively detailed video combined with clear sound. Automatic low light adjustment keeps video clear in dimly lit rooms. Manual focus enables you to fine-tune focus and remain sharp up to 3 meters / 9.84 feet away; avoid the limits of fixed focus and the fuss of blurry & unreliable autofocus
- User-Friendly: No drivers or software to install; just plug this webcam into your device’s USB port. Compatible with Windows XP, Mac OS 10.6, and Android 5.0 or above. An individual switch ensures your privacy behind the computer
- Fast Installation: Conveniently clip this camera onto flat-screen computer monitors and laptop computer screens, stand it on the desk, or mount it on standard tripods
- Package Contents: AUKEY PC-LM1A 2K Webcam, User Manual, Warranty Card, 45-Day Money Back Guarantee and 24-Month Product Replacement
This Aukey webcam delivers super sharp HD 1.536p video footage in 2K. They are seen in crystal clear resolution with Super HD on Skype. Enhanced H.264 compression delivers fast and smooth video uploads and streams with less computer stress.
With the Aukey product, not only are the
Communicate with higher resolution: The AUKEY 2K webcam has a much higher resolution than many other devices of its kind. It also offers improved performance and more flexibility. Optimum focusing and a wider field of view are achieved via the camera’s positioning ring. The AUKEY webcam offers a wider 80-degree field of view, so even two people fit into the picture.
Helpful to prove the intelligent exposure control of this webcam. This allows good and interesting pictures in different light conditions.
9. Logitech C525 HD with 360-degree Rotating function
- Full HD Widescreen Video Calling : Logitech C525 delivers fluid widescreen video calling in HD 720p at 30fps; The glass lense with 69-degree field of view covers all of the action
- Fast autofocus : Your image stays sharp and clear during video calls, even in close-ups (up to 10 cm)
- HD Lighting Adjustment : Automatically improves the warmth and balance of your image for whatever setting you are in, so you look your best, even in dim environments
- Fold and Go Design : The portable and compact size enables you to make video calls from anywhere, while the lens is protected with a unique folding travel-design
- 360-Degree Swivel Camera : The webcam rotates a full 360-degrees on its stand and tilts vertically, providing you with maximum flexibility and ease-of-use during your video calling and recording and helps protect your privacy
For HD video calls and recordings on the go – the Logitech HD webcam with 360-degree pan and auto focus is the right choice for your project. With it you can stay in touch with the people you care about. It provides smooth 720p HD auto-focus HD video with Logitech More HD technology, which you can send via your favorite Instant Messenger or Logitech Vid-HD. The camera works with almost all popular instant messenger applications.
Upload HD videos to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube with just one click. The foldable design with swivel function proves to be quite practical. You can fold up the device and take it with you wherever you go. In addition, the camera is rotatable, so you always find the right angle for your conversations and recordings. You can take stunning photos up to 8 megapixels (software interpolated).
Compatibility with operating systems: Windows XP (SP2 or higher), Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).
10. Logitech C922 Pro-stream webcam with
- Full HD streaming: Logitech C922 provides two streaming qualities to choose from. Whether you're after full HD 1080p at 30fps, or 720p at 60 fps, your audience will always be able to see you clearly. It covers all of the action with 78-degree field of view
- Multiple mounting options including tripod: This HD streaming webcam comes equipped with a versatile tripod. Mount the USB streaming camera on your LCD screen, notebook, table top or on your tripod
- Auto-lighting corrections: Alongside full HD streaming over wifi, this gaming webcam is equipped with autofocus and instant light correction, producing a clean-cut high definition image for viewers, even in low light
- Premium stereo audio: Either side of this streaming webcam are two omni-directional microphones, meaning you can capture more sound from any angle - so your voice sounds natural to your audience
- Powered by capture: Start creating high quality video content the second you plug in your new gaming webcam using the Logitech Capture App. This enables you to customise recording, adjust camera settings and even stream to YouTube in one intuitive interface
The Logitech Pro-Stream webcam with 2 omnidirectional microphones is one of the first webcams to feature UVC H.264 video encoding, enabling video chats via Skype in Full HD resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. The Logitech webcam also works with high-quality optics from Zeiss with a 20x zoom.
With H.264 compression, you need less network bandwidth for a fast and smooth upload. The recorded video is automatically adapted to poor lighting conditions and thanks to two omnidirectional microphones you can record the sound in stereo from any direction. Also practical is the fully adjustable table stand. It has a rotatable holder and can be extended to 18.5 centimeters. This allows you to set the webcam to an angle that allows a particularly advantageous presentation.
These advantages are offered by the Logitech Webcam:
- Streaming Full HD 1080p at 30 frames per second / 720p at 60 frames per second
- Custom change of background possible
- Automatic exposure adjustment
- Two omnidirectional microphones
- Adjustable table stand
Image transmission of 30 frames per second is also a powerful feature of this Logitech camera. With a strong internet connection, video chat playback is possible without jerking. The Logitech C922 Pro-Stream webcam lets you stream or record vivid, realistic and detailed HD video in 1080p at 30 frames per second.
What is Webcam and how does it work?
A classic webcam is nothing more than a digital camera that transmits images in real time over the Internet. This is done either publicly with access for everyone – as with permanently installed cameras at some popular attractions – or privately for a narrower audience – for example, in the video calling via Skype.
A webcam works like a normal camera. From model to model, there may be some differences. For example, in most cases, a continuously moving image is not filmed and transmitted, but only creates a snapshot at specific time intervals.
Some webcams are able to transmit sound in addition to the picture.
Different types of webcam?
There are different types of webcams on the market. In addition to the simple USB webcams you will also find HD webcams, conference cameras, IP cameras and wireless webcams. Here you can get to know the differences between the webcam types:
Standard webcam: The standard webcam is now a discontinued model. Although you get these models relatively cheap to buy,
HD Webcam: An HD webcam is a webcam designed for indoor use. The HD cameras can output live pictures in HD format with a resolution of at least 1280 x 720 pixels. They are ideal for simple webcam chat via Skype, ICQ or Facebook and also for the Omegle Chat.
IP camera and WLAN webcam: This variant is also called network camera and is considered the successor of the web camera. An IP cam differs from a simple webcam in that the IP web camera can independently go to the Internet and thus spread images. A connection to a PC is not necessary. In general, you use Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet.
What yo look for when you are buying webcam?
A webcam should allow you a good video chat, especially in terms of image and sound quality. To help you understand what is important when buying a webcam, please familiarize yourself with the following tips.
It makes a difference whether you use the camera sporadically for chatting or use a surveillance camera in continuous operation. For the outdoor area, we recommend a robust model with additional shielding against bad weather conditions. Pay attention to the legal requirements. These must be taken into account in publicly-attached webcams for monitoring purposes. They are not allowed to film and photograph everywhere, strict rules apply to the storage and distribution of images.
An HD Ready or a Full HD camera? These are two video resolution formats. HD-Ready allows a size of 1,280 x 720 pixels, while a Full HD video has a size of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. If you want to see your conversation partner in the webcam chat as well as possible, you should choose a higher video resolution.
With a chat, you can also take pictures, so the highest possible photo resolution is an advantage. Depending on the model, the resolution of the photo may be between 0.9 and 15 megapixels. A good product has at least 3-megapixel photo resolution.
Connection: By default, most webcams have a USB port. It is used to transfer image and sound to the webcam software. The cheapest products have only a 3.5 jack plug for connecting the microphone.
Bracket: Choose a model that has a flexible foot for attachment to a device such as a PC or a laptop. Such webcams can be easily clamped to a variety of monitors or screens. These are special universal brackets that allow you to carry video chats in all situations.
Extras and Accessories
To make video chatting and setup easier, the cameras should have various features and extras. Find products with autofocus that help you focus on the image. An integrated microphone is a must today. Much of the equipment only records in mono quality. Some higher quality models, however, allow stereo recordings. Furthermore, pay attention to the Skype-ready award, because in this case, the video chat program Skype recognizes the Webcam software more easily.
How to protect webcam?
Many users are just too comfortable and reckless, making it easier for hackers to access
Not only Windows users are victims of such hacker attacks, Mac users also need to be more cautious. Mostly access to the system or webcam using an unobtrusive program or an app that is installed recklessly and innocently by the user.
What measures can help protect against the hackers? If you follow a few important basic rules, the safety in your own system can be improved a lot. Above all, be careful with every kind of download. In principle, you should not download anything from an unknown or dubious source. In addition, you should always keep your operating system up to date. This particularly affects Windows users, for whom regular updates are important. Also important is the installation of a good antivirus program .
You can temporarily ” turn off ” a laptop’s webcam by sticking a small strip of dark tape (it’s imperative to be opaque) to the lens. Use an external rather than an integrated webcam. For an external webcam, it is sufficient to remove the plug of the USB cable in case of doubt. Already you are on the safe side and nobody can access the functions of the webcam. With WLAN and Bluetooth devices you should be particularly careful: The IP cameras are without protection measures very vulnerable for hackers.
General conclusion about having an webcam?
It is indeed a great thing to be able to see and hear your opponent while talking on the Internet. A webcam, however, has far more uses. Most webcams usually have no special hardware requirements – even slower computers with old USB ports can handle them and can be used for video transmissions. At least that applies to low resolutions. The new-quality webcams that provide high-resolution live streams should have up-to-date hardware.
Last update on 2022-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising