When summer approaches, nothing better than being able to enjoy a delicious ice cream. How about you make it yourself at home? With homemade ice cream makers, you can choose the ingredients that compose it at any time, and your children will be delighted.
However, deciding on one of these devices can be complicated, given the great offer that the market presents. Therefore, in this guide, we will help you choose the one that best suits your needs and those of your family.
What is an ice cream maker?
An ice cream maker is a machine designed to make ice cream. There are two types: they can be without a compressor or with a compressor.
In the second case, you will not need to freeze the container previously since it has a freezing system capable of bringing the mixture to a suitable temperature.
On the other hand, the blades are in charge of beating the ingredients, like a good mixer and incorporating air until obtaining an ice cream with the perfect consistency.
Top 10 ice cream makers
Before getting into the subject, how about taking a look at the best models on the market? Choose from these the one that best suits your needs.
Andrew James Ice Cream Maker Machine Frozen Yoghurt Sorbet...Key Spec:
- ICE CREAM MAKER MACHINE -- Make delicious ice cream, gelato, sorbet, and frozen yoghurt in your very own kitchen with the Andrew James Ice Cream Maker Machine.
- FAST HOMEMADE ICE CREAM -- At the touch of a button you can enjoy delectable homemade ice cream. Indulge in tangy lemon meringue, smooth peanut butter, or...
- REFRESHING FROZEN YOGHURT & SORBET -- Choose this ice cream machine for a fun kitchen activity for your little ones as you can make ice cream, sorbet, and frozen...
- RECIPE SUGGESTIONS & EASY CLEANING -- Includes 6 recipes to get you started such as vanilla, raspberry, strawberry, and banana. Your ice cream maker is also really...
- 2-YEAR MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY -- Shop with confidence. Your Andrew James Ice Cream Machine is covered by a 2-year manufacturer's warranty.
Lakeland Digital Ice Cream Maker 1.8LKey Spec:
- Makes delicious ice cream, sorbet and frozen yoghurt
- Ready in as little as 40 minutes
- Easy-to-read digital display
- Just freeze bowl for 12 hours before use, instructions and recipes included
- 1.8 litre bowl – 720ml working capacity
Sensio Home Ice Cream Maker Machine - Gelato Sorbet Frozen...Key Spec:
- 🍨 WINNER – The Independent Indy Best Buy 2024 winner for best for soft serve ice cream. [DELICIOUS HOMEMADE ICE CREAM IN MINUTES] – Sensio Home Ice Cream...
- ✔️ [EASY TO OPERATE] – (1) Freeze the bowl for approximately 12 hours, depending on your freezer (2) Mix your ingredients and pre-chill it in the fridge for at...
- ✨ [EASY TO ASSEMBLE AND CLEAN] – With just 4 removable components the set-up process could not be any simpler. With an easy-to-follow instruction manual you will...
- 💡 [BRITISH BRAND] – Sensio Home is a British brand you can trust. We have been selling kitchen appliances since 1946 and all of our products are fully tested as...
- 💯 [2 YEAR 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE] – Shop with confidence as the Sensio Home Ice Cream Maker is covered by a 2 year guarantee, proof that we stand behind...
American Originals EK2208AOAR Ice Cream Maker – Frozen...Key Spec:
- Make delightful homemade ice cream the quick, fun and easy way with this amazing Ice Cream Maker from American Originals.
- Allowing you to create your own unique flavours, this device has a viewing window so you can watch your ice cream being created.
- Place the bowl in the freezer, when ready add your ingredients and turn the machine on until your ice cream is the perfect consistency.,
- Designed with practicality in mind, the machine is simple to clean and compact so you can store it away easily after use.
- The ice cream maker produces amazing results with minimal effort and is great fun to use, it is an essential in any family home.
Lakeland Mini Digital Ice Cream Maker 0.5LKey Spec:
- Makes ice cream in as little as 25 minutes
- Small bowl tucks neatly into freezer
- Great for sorbet and frozen yogurt too
- Clear, easy-view lid
- Non-slip base
Cuisinart Ice Cream Deluxe, Pre-Freeze Ice Cream, Frozen...Key Spec:
- Makes 2L of delicious, homemade ice cream, frozen yoghurt or sorbet in as little as 25 minutes
- Easy to use. Simply pre-freeze the bowl overnight, add ingredients and switch on
- Add extra toppings through the lid during churning such as nuts, chocolate chips, fruit pieces and sauces for a ripple effect
- Removable bowl/lid and paddle for easy cleaning
- Unbeatable taste and flavour, made with fresh ingredients
- 5 year guarantee
- Deal runs from 08-Nov-2023 to 28-Nov-2023
Cuisinart Ice Cream and Gelato Maker | Makes Ice Cream,...Key Spec:
- Makes 1.5L of delicious, homemade ice cream, gelato, frozen yoghurt or sorbet in as little as 40 minutes
- Professional compressor system means no need to pre-freeze the bowl and no need to wait between batches
- 2 mixing paddles, one for ice cream and one for gelato to give your recipe the right amount of air for perfect texture
- Easy to use. Simply add ingredients and switch on. Add extra toppings through the lid during churning such as nuts, chocolate chips, fruit pieces and sauces for a...
- Unbeatable taste and flavour, made with fresh ingredients
- 5 year guarantee
- Deal runs from 08-Nov-2023 to 28-Nov-2023
Giles & Posner EK5014GSPNK Electric Ice Cream Maker –...Key Spec:
- Impress your guests with homemade ice-cream and fruit sorbet for dessert using the Giles & Posner Sorbet Ice Cream Maker
- Create velvety ice-cream, refreshing sorbets, frozen fruit yoghurts and desserts for all the family and party guests to enjoy.
- Enjoy homemade desserts in minutes; simply pre-freeze the bowl, add ingredients and churn upto 30 minutes for the perfect consistency.
- Easy to use with a one touch on/off switch, this frozen treat maker has a stylish pastel design, quiet operation and 7.3-9.5W power.
- Environmentally conscious, the instruction manual can be found by simply going to our Giles & Posner website.
Duronic Ice Cream Maker IM540 Machine, Gelato, Sorbet,...Key Spec:
- DURONIC IM540 ICE CREAM MAKER: Experience the joy of crafting your own ice cream with the Duronic IM540. This user-friendly ice cream maker puts the power of dessert...
- CHILL AND CHURN: To begin, freeze the bowl for 8-24 hours, ensuring it's thoroughly cold. Once ready, simply insert the frozen bowl into the machine, switch it on,...
- EFFORTLESS CHURNING: Our ice cream machine simplifies the churning process. As the paddle turns, pour your ice cream mixture in steadily. Then, let the machine do...
- SWITCH ON BEFORE USE: Please note - you must always switch the machine on BEFORE adding your mixture, otherwise it will freeze solid on impact and could cause the...
- USER-FRIENDLY GUIDANCE: Don't worry about complex instructions. Our ice cream maker includes clear and easy-to-follow directions, making it accessible to users of...
- POWERFUL 9.5W MOTOR: Powered by a robust 9.5W motor, this machine ensures efficient and consistent ice cream making, so you can enjoy your favourite frozen treats...
- CHIC WHITE DESIGN: The minimalist white finish and transparent lid not only add a touch of elegance to your kitchen but also allow you to monitor the ice...
KUMIO Ice Cream Maker with Compressor, No Pre-freezing Ice...Key Spec:
- 【No Pre-freezing Ice Cream Maker】The professional compressor system means there is no need to pre-freeze removable bowls, it will be a hassle-free and...
- 【LCD Display Control & Timer】With 4 modes and keep cool function. Built-in manual to guide you on how to use the machine. Just add the ingredients and turn it...
- 【Easy to Disassemble & Clean & Compact】Featuring a split design with only 4 removable parts and an easy-to-follow instruction manual, you'll be fully installed...
- 【Homemade & Healthy】Enjoy the fun of DIYing your favorite frozen treats at home with a 1L capacity that serves about 5 cups of yogurt or 9 ice cream balls or 6...
- 【Safety & Quiet & Recipes】Use food-grade ABS material to ensure safety and health. Low noise operation. There are non-slip silicone feet at the bottom of the ice...
Last update on 2023-10-26 / Affiliate links, Images and descriptions from Amazon Product Advertising
Why buy an ice cream machine?
If you love ice cream, don’t miss the opportunity to purchase one of these machines for your home at a very affordable price.
To enjoy homemade ice cream
Who has not dreamed of having an ice cream machine at home since childhood? Enjoying the taste of good homemade ice cream is all pleasure, especially if we are close to 40˚C. Without a doubt, having the opportunity to savour a product made by yourself is a luxury.
If you like ice cream and you think you could spend a whole day eating it, this machine is for you. Get delicious and creamy textures in your preparations as if it were an industrial product, but with the security of knowing that it does not contain any harmful additives to your health.
To choose the ingredients of the ice cream
However, the best thing about this machine is that you always choose the ingredients that your ice cream incorporates. Prepare your combinations with healthy and natural ingredients.
So you can enjoy delicious ice cream at any time and have the security of offering your children the best. You can prepare pineapple, lemon, strawberry, chocolate sorbets, or whatever you want, and only your imagination limits you.
To make ice cream with natural flavours
Having this ice cream machine at home allows you to experiment every day with new ingredients. It does not matter if you incorporate your favourite fruit to create delicious and healthy natural ice creams or prepare a base with vanilla cream.
Your favourite flavours and the best ingredients in a single combination that can be even low in calories, so you can enjoy a refreshing dessert without regrets. Look for a real food ice cream recipe, and you will not stop using this machine.
How to choose an ice cream maker?
There are several features that you should not overlook when purchasing one of these devices. Take note!
Capacity is one of the first characteristics that you will have to assess when deciding which model to buy. You have to consider the members that make up the family so that no one will be left without their ice cream.
Household ice cream makers usually have a capacity between 1 to 2 litres, but some larger models can go up to 6 litres. For this reason, it is essential to check the size of the container since, even if a device has large dimensions, the container may not be so large. Also, check the size of the mixing paddles.
This aspect should not worry you since domestic machines usually do not have much power. Generally, they are around 10 W, but they are utensils without a compressor that you will have to freeze before. They do not require more watts by not having to cool the container since they only have to turn the blades.
If the model incorporates a compressor, the power can reach 250 W, since it needs to be able to cool the mechanism to very low temperatures to prepare the ice cream and achieve an optimal result.
On the other hand, it is advisable to check the materials with which the machine is manufactured. Some cheaper models are usually made of plastic, so they are lighter but also less resistant.
However, metal models, such as aluminium or stainless steel, withstand humidity better and are more resistant to regular use and the passage of time.
Among the accessories that these devices usually include are special ice cream spoons, spatulas, containers, or recipe books. If you think you will need some of them, check that the model you are interested in includes them, so you do not have to make an extra expense.
Do not forget to consider the extra functions that each model can incorporate. For example, to avoid having to keep an eye on the process all the time, some models include an automatic timer that turns the machine off when it’s finished, so you don’t have to worry.
On the other hand, some of these tools can also be used to cool the containers where the ice cream will be placed once it is finished, to freeze fruit or store ice. The most versatile models allow you to create other types of cold desserts, such as sorbets, yoghurts or slushies. If you look closely, there are many options and functionalities. Choose the one that has the ones that best suit your use. You do not necessarily have to choose the one that offers them all if we do not intend to use them, as it will increase the price without being useful to us.
How much does an ice cream maker cost?
And we have reached the most crucial section, what is the price of one of these machines? The range is extensive, but in general, we can find a clear difference between the models with a compressor and those that only mix ice cream.
On the other hand, the price can also vary depending on the brand, the materials it is composed of, industrial or domestic, etc.
The first thing you will have to assess in one of these machines is its size and capacity, so you will know if it is suitable for all your family members. On the other hand, it is recommended that you value the use that you are going to give it if you are going to use it sporadically or every day. If you usually make a lot of ice cream, you might be interested in investing in a model with a compressor. Finally, don’t forget to check the opinions of other consumers before making any purchase.
How does an ice cream maker work?
To begin to explain the operation of these devices, we will talk about devices without a compressor. As we have mentioned in the previous section, these are cheaper and smaller machines, but they take longer to prepare the ice cream.
They cannot cool the ingredients by themselves, so you will have to put the tank in the freezer at least 24 hours before.
On the other hand, refrigerators with a compressor can generate cold by themselves. This way, you will save the freezer step and speed up the whole process to enjoy your ice cream in less time. Of course, these models are more expensive, and their dimensions are considerable, something that can be a problem if you do not have enough space in your kitchen.
To make an ice cream with the help of these machines, the process is straightforward. Although the ideal and advisable thing is that you always read the instructions included in the box carefully, there is any recommendation for use by the manufacturer.
In any case, if you have a compressor model, you can start by adjusting the temperature directly from the device. These machines will drop the degrees quickly and without problems.
Then, you will have to place the mixture that you have prepared inside the container and let it mix well with the paddles automatically for about 20 or 40 minutes, depending on the model. Once the ice cream has obtained the perfect texture, you can take it out of the container and enjoy your creation.
How to clean an ice cream maker?
Regarding its cleaning and maintenance, you must choose a removable product and that all its parts are made of resistant materials. Ideally, both its accessories and the tub are dishwasher safe. In this way, if you are lucky enough to have one at home, you can make sure you leave your refrigerator as good as new after each use.
Do not forget that we are talking about a product that works with food. The ice cream can contain eggs, dairy or other ingredients, so we must clean it very well until we make sure that there is no trace of any food used to prepare our ice cream.
It is recommended that you read the instructions first to clean according to the manufacturer’s suggestions, so you will avoid damaging the equipment. After each use, you will have to disassemble all the parts that make up the machine and put them in the dishwasher or wash them by hand with a little hot water and a non-abrasive detergent.
The body of the machine can be cleaned with the help of a damp cloth and some soap. Finally, before reassembling the machine, make sure that each part, the blades and the thermal tank are thoroughly dried.